what is 2G Cellular Network – History Of 2G Cellular Network – Do you know what is 2G Cellular Network (What is 2G in Hindi)? How it works, what are its important features? After 1G in wireless technology, 2G had changed the whole body of mobile communication.
Where there was only Voice in 1G, data service is also provided with Voice in 2G. The main difference between 1G and 2G is that where the radio signal used in 1G is analog, the signals of 2G network are digital.
This gave people an opportunity to make full use of their cell phones. Together they also got text encryption, data services such as SMS, picture messages and MMS together.
In 2G or second generation communication, the phone conversation is completely digitally encrypted. Due to this, the security of communication increases significantly compared to 1G. 2G technology taught people to use the internet along with talking in their cell phones.
Due to this people stopped calling their cell phones only calling devices and started calling it a utility device. So today I thought that I should provide you complete information about what is 2G Network so that you can know about the advancement of Mobile Technology. Then without delay let’s start and know about 2G technology.
What is 2G Cellular Network
Cell phones got the first major upgrade when the technology used in it was upgraded from 1G to 2G. This technology was first used in Finland in 1991 in GSM networks. Due to this there was a huge change in digital communication from analogue communication of phones.
The full form of 2G is Second Generation. New features such as call and text encryption in 2G telephone technology, in which data services such as SMS, picture messages, and MMS were included. Let’s say that 2G replaced 1G, like it has happened with all new technology. But even after the arrival of 3G, 2G is still used in many countries.
Whereas the maximum speed of 2G is 50 Kbps in General Packet Radio Service (GPRS). Whereas Enhanced Data Rates GSM Evolution (EDGE) has 1Mbps. The main objective of this generation is to provide secure and reliable communication channel. In this, both the concepts CDMA and GSM have been implemented. To achieve 2G capabilities, multiple users are allowed a single channel through multiplexing.
The max speed of 2G with General Packet Radio Service (GPRS) is 50 Kbps and 1 Mbps in Enhanced Data Rates for GSM Evolution (EDGE). Before moving from 2G to 3G wireless network, that gap is filled by very little known technology 2.5G and 2.75G.
History of 2G (First Generation)
Second generation 2G cellular telecom networks were commercially launched in the GSM standard, that too in Finland’s Radiolinja (which is now a part of Elisa Oyj) in 1991.
Features of 2G Technology
Let us now discuss about the important features of 2G technology.
- In second generation communications, phone conversations are digitally encrypted. This greatly increases its security.
- 2G GSM Technology works in many different frequency bands 900/1800.
- In this, Digital Modulation was introduced for the first time.
- Voice calls are noise-free in this, due to digital modulation.
- In 900 uplink which is mobile to BTS frequency range is 890-915 MHz and in downlink which is BTS to mobile frequency range is 935-960 MHz.
- CDMA also has a bandwidth of 20 MHz in 800 bands and 1900 bands.
- This technology does not support Multimedia services.
- Examples of this are GSM and CDMA.
Technologies used in 2G
In fact, there is no network by speaking 1G technology, that is to say, communication technology has increased since the advent of 2G. In this, many such features were included which you could not get in 1G. 2G network has been a very successful network which was very popular from 1980 to 2003. There were some such advancements in 2G in its spectrum which made it very popular. GSM, GPRS and EDGE are prominent in it.
1. GSM: Its full form is Global Systems for Mobile Communication. In this data transfer is also enabled with voice communication. Its speed is 30-35 kbps. It has played a very critical role in the evolution of mobile technology.
2. GPRS: Its full form is General Packet Radio Service. It also works similar to similar 2G technology such as GSM but with some refinements in it, its data speeds (110 kbps) increase.
3. EDGE: Its full form is Enhanced Data rates for GSM Evolution. It was introduced in 2003 and used in 2.9G or 3G. It is a much more advanced technology than both GPRS and GSM. Also, it provides high speeds up to 135 kbps and is still used in mobile networks in many countries.
What was the limitation of 2G?
If I talk about the limitation of 2G, then it is a little less useful than its next technology 3G. Let us know about it.
- 2G requires strong digital signals to operate properly. And if the network coverage is not good then it is not possible to use 2G.
- In this, the dedicated channel is allocated in the ongoing voice call.
- Due to less network, inconveniences like call drop arise in it.
- This network is unable to handle complex data such as videos.
- Its signals are easily interfered with by some electronics gadgets such as audio amplifier.
- It cannot handle data and video communication.
Technology of 2.5G and 2.75G:
Before moving from 2G to 3G, very little known technology interim standards like 2.5G and 2.75G were used to bridge that gap, which could bridge this gap of data transmission.
A new packet-switching technology was introduced in 2.5G which was more efficient than 2G technology. A few years later, 2.75G was introduced, which provided a theoretical threefold speed increase. AT&T was the first GSM network to approve 2.75G with EDGE in the U.S.
2.5G and 2.75G are not formally considered according to wireless standards. It was mostly promoted according to a marketing tool, in front of the public in the features of the new cell phone so that the general public would be more attracted to it.
As we all know that once in every 10 years new mobile technology is born which is an upgraded version of the earlier technology. In such a situation, 10 years after 2G, 3G was born, and about which we will know in another article.
I hope I have told you guys what is 2G cellular network Gave complete information about it and I hope you people have understood about what is 2G Mobile Network. If you have any doubts about this article or you want that there should be some improvement in it, then you can write low comments for this. From these thoughts of yours, we will get a chance to learn something and improve something.